Monday 18 June 2012

How To Make A Divider Pocket.

I came across these File Pockets earlier today, I thought they could be useful in my Personal sized Filofax.  They looked really easy to make yourself, within a few minutes I had whipped up a rough one and it worked really well. So here is the tutorial for you to try it yourself.



Here is what you are going to need to make these divider pockets.  I already had these items in so, basically its cost me nothing to make.


A4 White & Pink Paper, Scissors, Pen, Glue, Hole Punch & Guide



 Place the Hole Guide about 1cm off the top of the White paper and mark in the holes. (My hole guide is just the back card from a personal sized pad).



Fold the White paper in half so that the fold is to the right.



Next fold up along the bottom line.



Draw a diagonal line 1cm in from the left edge to a few cm's down from the right fold line.



Open the fold and cut this line.



It should now look something like this:



Fold the bottom part up at the fold line.



Redraw your holes using the Hole Guide.



At the top where you left the 1cm space, draw a line, this will be your top tab.



Cut the excess paper off:



This is now your guide to make a nicer Divider Pocket without all the lines and markings.

Place the white folded guide on top of a folded piece of paper/card and add your guide lines.  (Don't worry, you will not see these once the paper/card is all folded into place).



Fold the bottom part up.



Turn the paper/card over and glue the backside.  Refold it back together and punch out the holes.  Glue between the two front sheets near the holes to keep together.




That's it!  Quick! Cheap! And can be made with any pretty paper or card!


This is the first ever tutorial that I have done, so forgive please if it's not perfect. If you get stuck. give me a shout and I will try and explain further if I can. x

9 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks great. I'll be trying this after my exams are over! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks hun, they are really easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really good, may have a go when I have some free time, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can feel my scrapbooking paper itching to be pulled out and used right now :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cool. I've just tried making one with a scratch A4 paper for my Finocam Open 500. I haven't cut the excess paper or glue anything really, since I was just trying with a scratch sheet of paper.

    The paper size in the Open 500 is larger than the Personal Filofax (117x182mm versus 95x171mm), so the pocket is about 1.5cm narrower than the inserts. I believe it must be the opposite (wider than the inserts) in the Filofax.

    When I used my Finocam everyday, a few years ago (I went digital and then pocketmod and hipster PDA for a while) I made some pockets cutting and punching the corner of an envelope appropriately.

    I also made plastic ones, using plastic sheet protector corners as well. Putting this together with your design, I've just thought it'd be cool to make pockets like yours using overhead sheets (transparencies? I'm not sure how you call them in the UK) instead of paper to have transparent, more durable and resistant divider pockets. I'll give it a try tomorrow at work (where I have a couple of boxes that I don't use anymore as they were intended, since we use projectors now.) and see how they look like.

    I guess an A3 or even an A2 sheet of sturdy paper would work nicely to make A4 divider pockets as well. I'll also try an A3 tomorrow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Now i have another project to try out this evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started this with a letter size piece of paper, since I looked it up and it said letter and A4 are pretty close, but the dimensions are nowhere near close so now I'm confused. This is a great tutorial, I'm just trying to find the right dimensions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant! I'll definitely be having a go at this!

    ReplyDelete